ad banner    

Churches

The following churches are located in Port O’Connor:

First Baptist Church

Address 5th & Jefferson
Telephone 361-983-2727
Pastor: Donnie Martin

The Baptist Church was officially organized on January 23,1938 through the efforts of two familes: Mr. & Mrs. P.L. Lewis and Mrs. H..P. Clark. However , its true beginnings were on April 11, 1911 when the POC Townsite Company sold a plot of ground at the corner of Jefferson and Fifth Street to trustees of the First Baptist Church of POC. In 1947 Chapel No.3 at Camp Hulen, Texas was purchased from the War Dept. and in 1948 was barged to POC. The Church survived Hurricane Carla but needed extensive repairs. The present pastor is Donnie Martin.

Fisherman’s Chapel

(Nondenominational)

Address 303 W. Main
Telephone 361-983-4240
Pastor: Erny McDonough

This is a nondenominational church welcoming all faiths.

St. Joseph’s Catholic Church

Address Adams & Washington
Telephone 361-983-4467
Priests: Tommy Chen, Antonio Perez

In 1914 Mass was celebrated once a month on week days in private homes and various other places. Fr. Feeney purchased a store building in 1925 and remodeled it into the first Catholic Church which was destroyed in the 1942 hurricane. Mass was celebrated each Saturday morning at 4:00 a.m. so the boatmen could attend before going out shrimping. The small Catholic community consisted of 6 families: Munsch, Whittaker, Lloyd Hawes, Alfred Hawes, Heinroth, and Apostalo. Through the efforts of parishioners a new church was built in 1947 at the corner of Washington Boulevard and Adams Street. In 1951 the statue of St. Joseph was hoisted onto a pedestal. The Church was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1961, however the statue remained untouched. The present two story church and hall structure was dedicated in 1963. In 1995 a new bell tower was constructed for the old ship bell.